A (Lack Of) Programming Note

I’ve gone ahead and switched the internal blog commenting system back on. The forums will stick around in their current woefully ignored state (I’ll probably need them for something else eventually) but I haven’t had the time to integrate them fully into WordPress as I planned to, so they tend to be more of a hindrance to commenting on things for all save the hardest of core.

We meant to do better, but it came out as always.” – Viktor Chernomyrdin, typically cheerful Russian politician

Standard

37 thoughts on “A (Lack Of) Programming Note

1. dartwick says:

“Hey, let’s try this new comment system. What’s the worst that can happen?  ”

I suppose that it could result in painful deaths for all of us.

2. Sinij says:

This does not play nice with noscript. What is disqus? Lum, are you trying to cash in on social media and become next facebook with this blog?

• Aufero says:

It plays perfectly well with NoScript if you allow Disqus.  (And while I love NoScript and won’t use a browser without it these days, complaining that the sites you visit don’t work when you refuse them permission to run Javascript seems a tad pointless.  This ain’t the 90’s.)

3. > Can we just please get old system back.

> This does not play nice with noscript.

Level of caring: minimal.

> Lum, are you trying to cash in on social media and become next facebook with this blog?

Yes, it’s all a plot for me to make millions off the 8 of you who leave blog comments.

4. Mandella says:

All right. I’m not an insider here, and obviously I rarely post.
     So can somebody explain what the hell was wrong with the forum that it had to be shot down (again)?

• Cymbaline says:

Forums tend to drive people off because you have to click through to another page, then, if you’re new, you have to register, then check your email to get the registration confirmation, then you have to find the page you originally were on, and then finally, you can reply.

For the hard of core, it doesn’t matter.  For the rest, it’s the difference between posting and not posting, which means way less traffic for a site.  I know, because I originally started my site with forums for comments, and eventually found out it was driving a lot of comments off.

5. John Smith says:

The world is moving more towards anonymous *chan like sites. No registration = people more likely to post and post  more often.

• Cymbaline says:

“But I thought the forums were added precisely *to* drive a lot of comments off?”

Could be!  Also, when I make the reply comment, my reply is thread nicely below the one I’m replying too, all indented to indicate as much.  But when I come back, it’s all at the bottom, havin’ no reference the post I replied to.  🙁  Also, are rocking HTML style markup, or UBB?

6. Ashendarei says:

I’m actually pretty happy about this.  I stopped commenting entirely because I loathed the forums 😀

7. DarkDryad says:

Lum is the antichrist and Hitler rolled into one being designed to ruin our lives. Damn you sir! Damn you to the infernal pit from whence ye came!

8. Halgernon says:

Curses! My work’s filter hadn’t caught on to brokensystems but brokentoys was blocked some time ago. Oh well, I guess on slow work days I’ll have to go back to sneaking home. (You can have my VPN token when you pry it from my cold dead hands!)

9. Gyrus says:

This patch suxxor.  I am 133t hardcore forum poster.  If the Carebears don’t like it they can STFU and go back to WoW.
    (I have always wanted to say that :-D)

10. Sinij says:

I fucking fear change. Can we please go to original (very first one) comment system and forget this social media crap? If we do, Tractors on me!

11. Blargle says:

Bring back pre-posting, I fear change, yadda yadda.

No but really, forums were way better than this garbage.  /sniff